Information for Visiting Medical Students
Is Washington University Medical Center right for you?
The goal of the Visiting Elective Program through the Office of Diversity Programs is to enhance the exposure of the Washington University Medical Center to students considering careers in academic medicine, while promoting cultural diversity on the medical school campus. Students who are members of groups underrepresented in medicine or are socioeconomically disadvantaged are strongly encouraged to apply to the program.
Applicants must be fourth year medical students in good standing at their respective LCME-accredited schools in the United States. They are eligible to participate in one or two four-week electives. In addition, applicants must have a demonstrated background in enhancing service to disadvantaged groups and current experience in activities related to providing care to the under served.
Office of Diversity Programs (ODP) Visiting Elective
- Accepted students will be reimbursed up to $2000 for expenses such as travel, housing and other living expenses as well as the application fee
- The program will provide networking opportunities with residents and fellows as well as fourth-year Washington University medical students
- Visiting students will have access to student facilities including the Bernard Becker Library
- Forest Park, one of the largest urban parks in the United States, serves as the medical center's back yard and offers a wide spectrum of athletic and cultural facilities
Individuals interested in applying should submit the following documentation:
- Washington University School of Medicine’s Visiting Medical Student Program Application and accompanying forms
- ODP Visiting Elective supplemental application
- Official medical school transcript
- Curriculum vitae
- One letter of recommendation from a faculty member who has supervised the applicant during a third year clerkship
Acceptance into the ODP Visiting Elective Program confers acceptance into Washington University School of Medicine’s Visiting Medical Student Program.
Applications must be submitted not less than four to six weeks prior to the desired date of the elective.
To access the Visiting Medical Student Program forms and the electives’ catalog, please visit Washington University’s Visiting Medical Student Program web site.
For questions, contact the Office of Diversity Programs.